Since my medical device work is not publically available I can't go into as much detail with my medical device field projects, however, I do talk about a few of them very generally below and on my Innovate page.

Multilumen from single lumens

At MPC one of my projects involved a 3 single lumen extrusions that lead into a single 3 lumen extrution. The previous die design had the transision between these as long as possible. Reasoning like this is sometimes what our intuition says (the longer the transistion the easier to create it), but when you look at what's going on during the formation having a shorter bond length actually makes the mandrels going through the plastic better supported, and less likely to cause cross talk. So I made the transition as short as possible, reducing cross talk.

The same above project had a callout on the customer drawing that a mandrel of a certain Ø should be able to pass "freely" through the round bottom lumen to the corresponding single lumen. Since the single lumen hole was centered, and the multilumen corresponding hole was at the bottom of the extrusion there is some transition between the two. So when the process started creating a sharp transition the "go" mandrel no longer passed freely. During the process, the "forming mandrel" was originally nitinol, which is usually the first mandrel we reach for at MPC. However, in this case we didn't want something that would easily bend causing a sharp transition, so on my recomendation we replaced the niti forming mandrel with an SST forming mandrel and the "go" mandrel started passing freely again.

Transition to suture

One of my MPC projects involved curing silicon over a suture. The customer drawing originally had this silicon plug with a taper that was just a straight taper. In this case this caused any slight misalighnment to make the taper end at a different location on the suture on one side compared to the other, and thin portions that didn't adhere well. There were many rejects to get them samples. A rather seasoned engineer kept chugging away making rejects, but I knew we had to make this more manufacturable. So I looked at it and wondered, where is the atramatic tip like we often make when tipping cathetors? I suggested a radius at the end of the taper like you see on the end of tips. This completely removed the alignment issue and the customer was happy with the end result as well.

Silicon HUB

Most of the projects at MPC used compression molding. Which involves heating and melting plastic to form it in a die, then cooling it before removing it. Removing before completely cooling can cause major issues. So when a project that involved baking silicon to form HUB's came along, previous engineers had the plates cooling in an ice bath until it was cool to the touch. I realized that we were not melting the silicon, but rather curing it. So I tried opening the plates while still hot and it didn't effect the final product at all. This saved much time and mess since we only had to cool the plates so that they were safe to open, and the parts cool much faster for handling and trimming when removed from the plates.

These same plates were also clamped together using regular hand clamps. I replaced this system with a pneumatic socket driver and screw system which drastically improved yield and visual quality.

LED Fiber System

In order to inspect internal features, you normally need some pretty pricy equipment. However, instead I aquired an LED Fiber system to illuminate the part from the inside out. This made it possible to inspect marker band locations and orientations, voids, and other defects. This system also became quite useful at inspecting the inside of our micro-die's when used in combination with a boom microscope.